images (3)

Alleged property hijacking syndicate in Gauteng bust

Three suspected property hijackers who are part of an alleged syndicate operating in the Booysens area south of Johannesburg, Gauteng, were arrested on Friday morning.

The spokesperson of the city of Johannesburg (CoJ) group forensic and investigation services (GFIS) Lucky Sindane said the suspects were expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court on Friday on charges of fraud, theft and trespassing.

“The police are still looking for the fourth suspect who is on the run,” Sindane said.

ALSO READ: WATCH: Alleged Gauteng kidnapping caught on CCTV camera

Sindane said the suspects had been monitored for several months before they were arrested during a sting operation led by the CoJ GFIS, the South African Police Service (SAPS) and the undercover unit of the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD).

“In May this year, GFIS received an anonymous complaint about several properties that were suspected to be hijacked in Booysens.

“An investigation was then conducted by GFIS before referring the matter to the SAPS provincial organized crime unit for further investigation and action,” Sindane said.

Sindane said the CoJ is committed to bringing to a stop “the rot in the inner city and make it a prosperous and inclusive place for people to live, work and play”.

ALSO READ: ANC Mpumalanga regional chair allegedly hijacked, kidnapped, belongings stolen

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @ZululandP and Instagram @Zululand Press

 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *