Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Mtshweni

Mpumalanga toddlers die after the house they were locked in catches fire

Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Mtshweni was on Wednesday in Amersfoort in the Pixley ka Seme Local Municipality following the death of two toddlers after a house they were left alone in caught fire on Tuesday night.

It was reported that the children, along with a third who is reportedly in a critical condition in hospital, were alone and locked inside the house when the fire broke out. It was believed that a candle may have been the cause of the fire.

Police in the province said the two children who died were aged two.

According to information received by the police, the toddlers, a set of twins, a boy and a girl, and their girl cousin, all aged two, were reportedly left in the care of a guardian who also left the children alone to go and buy something at a local shop, leaving the children with a burning candle as the area does not have electricity.

Police spokesperson, Colonel Donald Mdhluli said: “Moments later, neighbours saw flames and called for help, the guardian is said to have arrived and informed them that the children were inside the house. They managed to rescue one of the twins, the boy, whilst the two girls could not be saved and were later certified dead at the scene by medical personnel. The boy was rushed to hospital where he’s currently receiving medical attention.

“An inquest case was registered at Amersfoort SAPS and the matter is being investigated.”

It was reported that a woman has been arrested for child neglect.

ALSO READ: Death toll rises to 31 in horrific Eastern Cape bus crash after toddler succumbs to injuries

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *