IMG-20211014-WA0019

Murder accused ex-Mpumalanga MEC granted R20 000 bail

Former Mpumalanga MEC for Agriculture, Rural Development and Environmental Affairs Mandla Msibi and his co-accused, Anele Sonke Mnisi (26) and Njabulo Mkhonto (28), were on Tuesday granted R20 000 bail each by the Nelspruit Magistrates’ Court.

Msibi, Mnisi and Mkhonto are facing two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder. The three bring the total number of  accused in the case to five.

The spokesperson of the national prosecuting authority (NPA) Monica Nyuswa said the court set the following bail conditions for the trio:

  • Not to interfere with state witnesses.
  • To report to the Pienaar police station every Mondays and Fridays.
  • To surrender their passports to the investigating officer today before 4.30pm.
  • Not to leave the  Mpumalanga province without informing the investigation officer.

ALSO READ: Man who shot and killed kwaNongoma ANC councillor in 2016 found guilty

“All five accused will appear again on 6 December 2021 for  further investigation,” Nyuswa said.

Nyuswa has previously said that the allegations levelled against the former MEC and his co-accused are in connection with the fatal shooting of Dingaan Ngwenya and Sindela Lubisi.

A third person was wounded during the shooting in Nelspruit, Cayotes Shisanyama on 22 August 2021, Nyuswa has said.

“Charlie Ngwenya, 35, and Tsepo Matsane, 30, were arrested, appeared in court and granted bail of R20 000 each on strict conditions in September,” Nyuswa said.

Following his arrest, Msibi was axed as MEC and asked to step aside from his positions and roles in the African National Congress.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @ZululandP and Instagram @Zululand Press

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *